Saturday, February 25, 2006

The Kremlin mountaineer




Tim Whewell of the BBC has written a fascinating if depressing article on the way that Stalin's reputation is undergoing a revival in Russia, fifty years after Nikita Krushchev denounced him in the famous closed session of the 20th Congress of the Communist Party.

Here are the words that earned Osip Mandelstam, one of the greatest poets of the twentieth century, his place on the honour roll of Stalin's victims:

We live, deaf to the land beneath us,
Ten steps away no one hears our speeches,
All we hear is the Kremlin mountaineer,

The murderer and peasant-slayer.
His fingers are fat as grubs

And the words, final as lead weights, fall from his lips,
His cockroach whiskers leer

And his boot tops gleam.
Around him a rabble of thin-necked leaders - fawning half-men for him to play with

They whinny, purr or whine
As he prates and points a finger,
One by one forging his laws, to be flung

Like horseshoes at the head, to the eye or the groin.
And every killing is a treat

For the broad-chested Ossete.

Mandelstam whispered that one in Boris Pasternak's ear on one of their walks around Moscow; Pasternak turned to Mandelstam and hissed 'You didn't say that and I didn't hear that'. The phrase 'Kremlin mountaineer' is thought to refer to Stalin's origins in mountainous Georgia.

You can read thirteen of Mandelstam's poems in translation here.

3 Comments:

Anonymous OTC anxiety medication said...

Thanks very much for this flawless post;that is the words that keeps me on monitor by means of out the day. I have been trying round for your web site after I heard about them from a buddy and was thrilled when I was capable of finding it after searching for long time. Being a avid blogger, I’m glad to see others taking initivative and contributing to the community. Just wished to remark to indicate my appreciation for your web site as it is rather difficult to do, and lots of writers do not get credit score they deserve. I'm sure I’ll visit once more and can unfold the phrase to my friends.

5:48 pm  
Anonymous what is acid reflux said...

Greetings everyone, This webpage is superb and so is how the matter was expanded. I like some of the feedback as properly although I would favor all of us keep it on matter so as add value to the subject. It will be additionally encouraging to the writer if all of us may share it (for some of us who use bookmarking companies reminiscent of a digg, twitter,..).

3:20 pm  
Anonymous pharmacy drugstore said...

This is good but I expected something else, it's not bad but it could be better, I think it's a constructive critique what I'm doing, what I liked was the responses I read in here.

4:26 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home