Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Photos from Maketu Pa site

When I blogged about Maketu Pa the other day I had to do so without posting the photos that my secret collaborator 'C-burger' (it's a nickname, donchaknow?) had taken of the place. Now the good fight against technology has been won, and I'm able to post some of the photos.

Here's why Maketu Pa was so valued as a lookout:



Even in these days of winter smog, you can see all the way across the Manukau Harbour to the Waitakere Ranges on the other side of Auckland.

This photo shows some of the earthworks - kumara pits, terraces, and perhaps a tranverse ditch - which can be seen near the 'summit' of the pa:



Here's a view of the cliff on the north side of the 'summit', which gives you an idea of why Maketu was such a great natural fortress:



Here's the view east from the top of the pa, across the site of the old settlement of Peach Hill. A couple of stone walls built by the early settlers can be made out amidst the late afternoon shadows:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who's that fat bald bloke?

The Big Rig Downunder

5:21 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

Beautiful place Maps. I love country like that. Fascinating history also -thanks for this and showing me the place.

11:30 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:04 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed taking the photos! Breathtaking views and wonderful for me to discover a piece of New Zealand history that was new to me. Thanks for sharing it with me.

7:41 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank for good post and sharing......

หนังออนไลน์

6:39 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home