Wednesday, February 21, 2007

On the level


It had to happen: a representative of the Flat Earth Society, which takes the Bible literally and regards the Moon landings and all other expeditions into space as part of a grand conspiracy of lies, has washed up on this blog (see the comments here). When he's done giving the 9/11 conspiracy theorists what they deserve, maybe George Monbiot can set his sites on winning $5,000 from the estate of Wilbur Voliva. Given the defence of the flat earth thesis mounted by Voliva's successor Charles Johnson, whose wife came from that cricketing minnow Australia, Kiwis might have a role to play in bolstering Monbiot's arguments:

"Marjory has always known that the earth is flat, too," says Charles Johnson. "As far as she knew, everybody in Australia knew it. She was rather shocked when she arrived here and found people speaking of Australia as being 'down under.' It really offended her. She would get in quite heated arguments with people who seemed to accuse her of coming from down under the world." Ultimately, Marjory Johnson swore in an affidavit that she had never hung by her feet in Australia.
After last night's game of cricket, though, I am inclined to coin a new conspiracy theory. Surely someone is rigging these things?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a load of fuckin' shit. does skyler support flat earth theory? EGG!

7:54 pm  
Blogger Skyler said...

Maps was sly and posted "On the level" under my login!!! Of course I don't support flat earth theory!
Skyler

9:25 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

I was criticised as I - I was deluded - I believed in evolution etc - but Mr Red Warpath frightened me. So I changed! I thought about it all very deeply - I have never seen the world other than it is seeming to be flat! And it is clearly a lie that anyone has ever walked on the moon - but then I had a "flash of incredible light" and I now see that indeed the world is flat, and also that the 4 fingers I hold before me at this very instant are in fact 5, and so on...I feel wonderfuly free and at peace knowing that Copernicus, Galileo,and Darwin et al were all completely wrong.

Nor is there any roundness. Roundnes is a fascist concept.

12:07 am  
Blogger maps said...

Er, Skyler, neither do I.
Sorry for borrowing your good name: not sure how that happened...
the serious point behind all this flat earth sillines is that a literal reading of the Bible really is incompatbile with a belief in a round earth. There are references to the four corners of the earth, folks on high mountains looking down on the entire earth, the 'fact' that the earth does not move, etc
So when the Creationists come out with their Bible-based opposition to evolution, they should be challenged to go the whole hog...

7:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home