Thursday, August 16, 2007

Why?


Apologies for not answering e mails, let alone posting anything interesting*, over the past couple of days - I've been recovering from a disastrous confrontation with a dentist. I have at least gotten round to setting up a new poll here and rejigging the links (well, to be honest, I got sick of the latter task after three minutes, so don't be offended if you haven't been added to the canon).

I hadn't checked the old poll for some time, and was rather disconcerted to see that Benny Hill had taken a comfortable lead over the likes of Marx (Karl, not Groucho) and Lennon (John, not Vladimir) as the person visitors to this blog would most like to resurrect. Here are the final results for the top contenders:

Benny Hill 171
Karl Marx 149
Jesus 112
Rosa Luxembourg 59
Leonard da Vinci 57
John Lennon 42

And only nine votes for Syd Barrett! Ah well. At least that dull old hippy Jesus was beaten out of gold or silver. Vote in our new and rather more interesting poll (scroll down and you'll find it tucked away underneath the monthly archives links on the right of the screen).

*Unless, of course, you share my weird interest in spam-poetry, as Mike Beggs seems to do.

Footnote: this is the sort of little thing that restores one's faith in the internet. (It's not healthy to have too much faith in anything, of course. I had too much faith in my dentist...)

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just found your blog after you posted a comment on mine. Thanks for that.

Anyway, I would resurrect Billy T James - by far the most worthy in my humble opinion!

12:01 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dental work is pretty bourgeois

6:25 pm  
Blogger maps said...

So is a toothache.

8:26 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

I need to go to a dentist but just copped a $230 speeding ticket - dentists are bloody expensive as they are not subsidised.

My dentist's surgery is owned by Iarqis and the woman dentist from Iraq was very good when first had some work done. I also had some work done there by a NZ dentist who is a grandson of the poet de la Mare..but I haven't discussed politics, philosophy or poetry with my dentists - surprisingly!

Dentists should be subsidised and more closely watched by the Govt - I have so far had good treatment - touch wood - but the costs are indeed high.

But sympathies - dentists - going to and treatment costs are always unpleasant and irksome.

8:48 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

In the "competition" you have Ulysses by Joyce (which I am currently re-reading - that is a great work by perhaps the greatest 20th century writer) and you have the original mentioned - that is also called Odysseus - but you left off Ulysses by Tennyson - that is an excellent poem BTW. From the perspective of Odysseus (Ulysses -the Roman name) after he has returned home. Another poem by
Tennyson I like very much is 'Tithonus' - who was condemned to live forever (but not to stay young as he is) so like Dorian Gray's portrait is is growing older every day - if not more evil.

I was great advocate of Benny Hill as he is a favourite comedian of mine. And we need humour more than poetry or politics.

8:57 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

Billy T James was very funny - yes.

8:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home